Thursday, April 05, 2007

You Can’t Escape “The Man”

I’ve shared with my blog visitors some of the interesting and strange things about being in Iraq that include IED, rocket attacks, critters, etc. You figure we’re under enough stress with all of that going on, we can handle anything, almost.

I have a unique question for the veterans that visit my blog, is it me or do Air Force MPs need to get a job? I came up on two Joes in the middle of a heated “debate”. Apparently, an Air Force MP (military police) had attached a parking ticket to the other Joe’s vehicle because it was parked on the side of the road instead of in the motor pool. Now I realize that somewhere in the AF hierarchy the MP is just doing his job, but let’s look at the facts.

The Air Force is deployed here for a maximum of four months unless they get extended (usually by a week or two). They work long hours (eight) and do receive a lot of crap from pretty much everyone here. They get an additional subsidy pay for “Substandard Housing” because they’re here. *I’m just happy to live in a trailer and not on the ground like usual and I’m not making this up. The list goes on and on.

The soldier was explaining to the MP that he did not “park” the vehicle on the side of the road; it finally gave out on the way to the motor pool because of the IED detonation they had received five hours prior. They had driven the vehicle in from the mission and were on their way when it finally died. The soldier went as far to show the MP the visible damage like the right rear tire being flat, the right rear side of the fender missing, and all of the chunks taken out of the metal because of shrapnel. The MP didn’t “buy it” and told him to explain it to the provost marshal (like the traffic judge).

The soldier then gave the MP a bit of career advice for his future. He said, “You know, if I had your job, I’d kill myself! Make sure you use a full magazine because you’ll probably miss the first 9 or 10 times!”



3 Comments:

Blogger One hot bastard said...

What is sad is they are probably considered some of the more "combat oriented" personnel in the Air Force. You would think they would relate to us better, but then again, we don't get along much better with the Army MPs.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah the pulled me over going 5mph in a 15mph zone I mean really who has a 5mph zone on a 35mph road? Seriously my spedometer did not even go that slow. They dont care though they want to feel like they have an important mission too, you know giving a ticket to a joe for something stupid. I agree its a big place and there needs to be some law and order for big violations of UCMJ but there is a fine line between smart and stupid. The funny thing is the Army MP's are out "snoopin and poopin" running roads and brining law and order to the country whereas the AF MP's are just here to bag groceries.

8:42 AM  
Blogger kissmekate said...

So much for brotherly love!

They may have a job to do but geez, I would have thought the obvious damage was enough to see what these guys had endured that morning.

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home